Desktop support specialists are 2.1% less likely to earn a Master’s Degree and 0.6% less likely to graduate with a Doctoral Degree. Another way to advance your career is to specialize in a particular area of service desk engineering. This could involve becoming an expert in a particular type of software or hardware, or in a specific area of customer service. As a specialist, you will be in high demand and can command a higher salary. Here are three trends influencing how service desk engineers work. Service desk engineers will need to stay up-to-date on these developments to keep their skills relevant and maintain a competitive advantage in the workplace.
Responds to requests for technical assistance in person, via phone and email. The most common way to advance in this career is to move up the ladder within your current organization. As you gain experience and prove your worth, you will be given more responsibility and may eventually be promoted to a management position.
Be Willing to Learn
With more online, real-time compensation data than any other website, Salary.com helps you determine your exact pay target. If they have certifications from CompTIA in A+ or Network+, it would be beneficial. They must have had hardware troubleshooting experience and be conversant with networking protocols and ITIL. They should have extensive technical knowledge of various technologies and products, including local area network /wide area network technologies. The average IT help desk job salary is between $55,000-$65,000 but this can vary depending on the company and level of experience. Laptops, 5%Provided installation, configuration, and troubleshooting of various software and web-based applications on laptops and desktops. Technical Support, 11%Provided in-person and remote technical support to over 50,000 military and civilian customers.
IT help desk certifications mainly include college courses or apprenticeships. For IT help desk jobs, you could do an intermediate or advanced apprenticeship in IT support, or an infrastructure technician advanced apprenticeship. An IT help desk is essentially a tool to help organize customer queries and complaints. It uses ticketing services that assign customers to the right person to help. This means customer requests are handled more quickly and efficiently. Nowadays, IT help desk support engineers rely on advanced software in order to speed up the ticketing process. An IT Help Desk Technician is a professional who provides technical support and assistance to customers, whether on the phone or in person.
Asst. Help Desk Engineer Resume
Both graduates and experienced professionals are welcome to apply. As a Service Desk Engineer you are the point of contact for end users and their operational questions, requests and problems regarding ICT services .
- Additionally, a senior infrastructure engineer has the authority to make decisions, train and supervise junior engineers, establish goals and timelines, provide technical support, and implement policies and guidelines.
- Monitored and troubleshot network equipments including routers, remote site infrastructures switches, firewalls, modems etc.
- Manage the PC refresh program transferring all user data remotely and installing require software applications.
- Perhaps the hardest question to answer when deciding on a career as a help desk engineer is “should I become a help desk engineer?” You might find this info to be helpful.
- Our support team is currently working mostly remote, with some on-site visits required.
Included in the Service Desk Engineers tasks are installing, upgrading, supporting, and resolving issues relating to PCs or laptops, printers, scanners, phones, VoIP, besides the Intranet, LAN, and WAN, hardware, and software. The goal is to create value for clients that will help preserve the company’s reputation and business. This IT Help Desk Technician job description template is optimized for posting on online job boards or careers pages and easy to customize for your company. Developed customizable hardware and software packages for the customer. Analyze, diagnose and resolve problems on hardware, software, OS, applications and devices.
Future of Service Desk Engineers
As you improve your active listening abilities, you’ll realize that end-users will give you almost all you need to know to solve help desk engineer their problem. This not only increases empathy but also allows you to acquire more knowledge while asking fewer questions.
- Desktop Service works in tandem with IT Service, as one needs the other to perform at its best quality.
- But both careers also use different skills, according to real help desk engineer resumes.
- You should also have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to safely and successfully perform the essential job functions consistent with the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards, including meeting qualitative and/or quantitative productivity standards.
- Additionally, they’re 7.8% more likely to graduate with a Master’s Degree, and 0.3% more likely to earn a Doctoral Degree.
- Then choose from 5+ resume templates to create your help desk engineer resume.